Saturday, March 24, 2012

Paris ... Growing on Me

So, this may seem bizarre, but Paris just hasn't knocked my socks off.  Of course I did love my first visit (accounted here), but I think it has more to do with the huge build up this city gets, billed as one of the best in the world, endless romance, the place everyone dreams of going.

You know, things just have a tendency to slightly disappoint when they are hyped up too much ... because honestly, had someone come at me from the start with this ho-hum opinion I am offering up, I surely would be telling you right now that Paris is the most amazing city in the world.  It's growing on me.

I had the great fortune of visiting twice in March for business.  Just a two hour train ride from London, it really is quite luxurious.  The first visit was a quick in/out and I barely escaped the tacky hotel to grab one quick, but perfectly buttery, croissant early one morning (though I could see the Eiffel Tower from my room so not all bad).

For the second, I assured I gave myself a few hours in the afternoon to do some walking around, and booked my own darling boutique hotel on the beautiful Île Saint-Louis (one of the two islands in the Seine river - the other holds the Notre Dame Map here).  I decided to get off the metro a few stops early and talk my time walking the remainder of the way.

I really didn't cover much ground, but weaved in and out of small streets just north of the river, and it was so cute!  Interesting shops, cafes, a lucky find farmers market ... all just so French!  I think it also helped that it is Spring ... on the sunny warm day the city felt more alive.  My first two trips were in the bitter cold of winter.

Hungry, but not wanting to ruin my appetite for the pending dinner to come (see asparagus) I decided to go true Parisian style and grab a baguette from the boulangerie and a delicious gooey, stinky cheese from the fromagerie and tear into it sitting beside the river.  Quite the afternoon!

Paris ... looking forward to my next trip!








No comments:

Post a Comment