Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Drought

Upon considering my move to London, one thing I certainly did not expect to see was this sign.  Repeatedly, when talking through the pros and cons of living in the 'ole Blighty, the persistent, dreadful drizzle was top of the con list. Yet, indeed, Southeast England is in a drought, and has been for the last two years.

Knock on wood, I haven't needed an umbrella in months.  March was the warmest on record, ever.  There have been strings of days with blue skies and bright sun, skipping to get the morning coffee without a jacket, and pubs full of afternoon tipplers.  Glorious!

It is hard to not see this as a wonderful twist of fate, however there is this looming massive event taking place in the city in a couple months in which the demand for water is expected to be quite high.  You know, a little sporting event called the Olympics.

The press routinely discusses water bans, conservation, and "what if" scenarios in order to prepare us for the start of August.  Now, this American has seen my share of panicked water hoarding events - pre-hurricane / pre-end of world apocalypse - so I suppose I should get ahead of the crowd and start stocking up my Evian now ...

... or, prehaps the more likely event is it will rain non-stop from now through the summer straight to the end of the Olympics.  Boo.

1 comment:

  1. Post script ... no joke, it is now May 16th and it has rained every single day since I posted this - until today.

    ReplyDelete