Saturday, March 30, 2013

The Female tribe hits Fiorenza!


I tend to not speak much about my gang here on the blog, as I typically "respect other people's right to not be written about on the internet", but this past weekend was a major event in the Alpha-Alpha-Alpha-Alpha-Alpha (you get the picture) sorority and is worth note in this journal of goings-on in my life.

I am so, so, so fortunate to have found myself surrounded by a collection of brilliant, beautiful, funny, smart, brave, honest, susceptible, humble, up-for-anything, loving ladies.  Friends with diverse backgrounds, interests, characteristics ... and all bring unique value and growth to my life.

We've come about as friends of friends or co-workers and I'm just so dang lucky we did!  This weekend seven of us decided on a road trip to commemorate the escape of one of the Alphs.  One of our ladies has fallen in love with a Scandalous Scandinavian and is off to move to Oslo in just two weeks now!

Ponte Vecchio
And celebrate we did ... three days in Florence, Italy -  the home of food, Chianti, love, and from my experience tons of naked people cast in stone. We took an hour train from Pisa, stayed in a couple amazing apartments on the river overlooking the "Ponte Vecchio" and spent our time between shopping, resting, wining and dining.

Tuscany ... in my American-movie fed dreams, this is the land of promised green rolling hills, olive oil, and love affairs with some sort of bicycle / teacher / dark hair intertwined (perhaps I need to return some day).  We remained in the city of Florence, perusing the markets for leather goods, stopping for frequent gelato breaks, staring up at the unexpected giantness of what is "David", and eating meals that included every last bit of an anti, primi, and a secondi ... woot!

As I wrote the second paragraph above and used the word "susceptible" I paused to Google it.  It is one of those words that in some sense connotates weakness and I wanted to assure I wasn't describing the girls with a word that may be mis-construed in a negative way (let's be real, I tend to throw a solid jab here and there, so wanted to check myself!).

But as I ponder its definition { Adjective:  1) Likely or liable to be influenced or harmed by a particular thing.  2) (of a person) Easily influenced by feelings or emotions; sensitive.  } I truly think there is no more fitting term as I reflect on this weekend, its significance, and the attendees.  As often as we ladies have to put on our head-strong, lead-the-world, take-no-prisoners hats, it is nice to see a lovely woman throw it all to the wind, strip down and say there is nothing I would rather do than be with this person, the man I love, trust, want to have babies with ... so much so that I will stay for months in frigid hours of darkness, learn a new language that sounds no more understandable than tak-a-tak-tak-a-tak, meet strangers and call them family, smoke salmon and reindeer meat at home, and endlessly "train" for cross-country skiing events.

Best of luck to you sweetheart ... though scary, at a minimum you have inspired me and made me proud.  I'm sure the other Alphs would agree.  Hugs.

 << SLIDESHOW! >>



No comments:

Post a Comment