Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Three Years ...

Ride from London Heathrow, July 2010
Three years ago yesterday I boarded a plane with a one-way ticket to a land I had never been to, thousands of miles away.  Three years ago today, I got off that plane with more excitement, fear, and anticipation than one heart should handle - eyes darting about as my black taxi (with the driver notably sitting on the wrong side) whisked me across London past one major site after another, dropping me off at my little corporate housing flat near Chancery Lane.  As I envision that day, I do seem younger then.

Today I reflected on myself, who I am now, and questioned whether I was "changed" from this experience.  Yes, I have grown immensely in my career and this global experience has sling shot me ahead in that arena.  My travels are irreplaceable experiences that have shown me culture, diversity, history, decadence, and of course culinary delights ... but has that changed ... me ... ?

First weekend in London, July 2010
I'm not so sure ... I still prefer solitude, control of a situation, avoid conflict, and voice my honest, direct feedback.  I find peace in simple pleasures each day, such as blooming flowers and setting suns.  I get so jazzed up by a gourmet food store and find few greater pastimes than browsing an outdoor market.  I am neurotic and love puzzles, knitting, counting my footsteps as I run 5K.  The sun on my skin and sea near my toes is where I long to be ... same as in 2010 before I made this journey.

As opposed to changing me, I think this experience so far has enhanced me ... made me more aware and is helping me to truly see those things in myself that make me who I am and bring me the greatest joy ... those situations that no matter my location and experience where I am happiest ... speaking of which, time to pop off to the pub around the corner to catch up on the local neighbourhood gossip over a glass of wine and a delicious meal (indeed, some things never change).


No comments:

Post a Comment