Sunday, January 19, 2014

Ski Trip Andorrrrrrra!

Map of Andorra
I had been yearning for one of those moments when you sit peacefully as the snow flakes fall, gazing over the mountains in the distance, with warmth and a loved one nearby.  As destiny would have it, my loved one has friends with a home near Andorra whom kindly invited us for a weekend to go skiing between Christmas and New Year's Eve.  Yeah!

In case you don't know (I didn't), Andorra is a small country between Spain and France high in the Pyrenees mountains (marking the 20th country I have visited).  It is about a two and a half hour drive from Barcelona, where we began and ended this getaway.  After the flight in, we grabbed our little van and some friends and began the trek North. 

I haven't skied much in my life.  I've gone on a couple trips in Wisconsin, but that is a bit like saying you have experience in Formula One racing by riding go karts once.  Nonetheless, I was game (especially since this got me the serene moments I longed for ... albeit in between bouts of life-threatening panic and aching body parts).

We rose early in the morning to drive to the resort high, high up in the mountains, crossing the border into Andorra.  The first day was bright with blue, blue skies and warm temperatures.  Glorious!  The first run I attempted was way out of my league and I spent more time on my bum or "snowplowing" as slowly as possible to get me to the bottom.  Ugh.  Considered giving up.

After examining the map and identifying some blue hills to try, I was back in action and built my confidence over the course of the two days on the mountain.  I slowly identified what I was doing wrong, made some attempts at slopes that had leg-breaking potential, and ultimately felt like I made great progress.  As I took my breaks on the long runs gradually down the hill, the sights were breath-taking, and thanks to a nice gift from Nielsen we had a video camera to capture some of the action.
 
Of course you are exhausted after skiing all day, so we spent quiet evenings in the nearby small communities.  Of particular excitement, we went for a late dinner at a nearby farmhouse that sourced most of their food from their property.  There was warm chicken soup, Spanish cured meats and chesses, the customary pan con tomate, and I had roasted chicken to die for.  So good ... now get me out of these ski clothes and to bed!
 
On day four, we had breakfast overlooking the mountains, drove back along the cliffs and rolling hills to Barcelona, and spent one more night outside the city in front of a warm fire in the fireplace after a wander around the small town of El Vendrell.  The ocean side drive to the airport was icing on the cake.  Sooo good.  What an end to 2013!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment