Saturday, February 26, 2011

London Graffiti

Blansky, Essex Road
Oh yes, they do have their fair share of the typical stuff, but London has a breed of graffiti they can call their own.  I am no historian, but Banksy has a distinctive stenciling technique that has taken on.

Banksy is an artist in the city that pretty much stays underground and I believe that has made the appearance of one of his projects even more exciting to the masses.  When wondering the city, I take delight when I encounter such a piece.

The first one I recall was on my very first day in London, on Cross Street very near my current flat.  It was a very cute pug dog that drew my attention because of how good it was and I was shocked when I went by again and it was painted over.  Almost felt like it was an illusion all along (... the dog that drew me to Islington ... buahhh).  After that I began seeing random pieces that all had a very similar style, usually off on their own, and certainly considered beauty, not destruction.

Cross St.
Primrose Hill
There is a more famous piece on Essex Road, also just a couple blocks from my flat (the one with the kids and flag above).  The "are you looking at me?" man is now on Cross Street, but doesn't feel to me like the same artist.  When wondering Primrose Hill I saw the one with the guy with his dog (very similar style to the first one I saw).

I can't say for sure that these are all Banksy, and even more curious is while wondering through Paris I saw this one with the cat that caught my eye as well.  While looking at the wiki link (above) for Blanksy it says that he styles himself after Blek le Rat, a Parisian graffiti artist.  Just may be!!

"Niether God, nor master, nor tasty fried food treat"


 

No comments:

Post a Comment