Monday, July 9, 2012

Ridley Rd. Market

Recently I read an article about the five best markets in London ... the two clear winners are the notorious Borough market - foodie haven and clincher for my decision to move to London - and Broadway market - somewhat like a little Borough with a non-stop stream of eyebrow-raising hipster fashion just a walk up the canal from my place.

However, to my surprise the Ridley Road Market was also listed.  Ridley Rd. in the Dalston neighbourhood northeast of the city is also within walking distance of my flat and I had yet to pay it a visit ... what fortune!


This market is quite different from the others.  First, it is in the heart of an African neighbourhood, and the foods, flavours, and products exemplify that heritage.  Also, it's visitors tend to be lower income than the Borough type, so there are some great deals to come by as well (was listed as some of the most affordable veg in the city!).

So, this Saturday (oh glorious Saturdays when there is nothing to do but explore!) I grabbed my shopping bag, camera, and hit the street to see what was to offer.

I didn't quite expect I would leave England for a few hours, transported somewhere with smells of spice, entrancing music, bright colours, never before seen vegetables, and questionable cuts of meat.  It was amazing.

I'll admit, I was possibly caught a few times with my jaw hanging open as I stared in awe at woman wrapping themselves in stunning ethnic fabrics or an elderly couple lifting cow hearts out of a tub to determine which one looked the tastiest for dinner.  

There were rooms with intricate hair-braiding going on, butcher shelves lined with ram skulls, and the darling little turquoise parrot fish I discovered while snorkelling in Mexico on chilly display for consumption.

Smells of incense, shea butter for you hair and skin, and freshly made grilled breads filled with cheese (OMG!) ... gold hoop earrings, lace curtains, and wool socks.  Fresh strawberries, plantains and garden eggs (which I now know are a delicacy for lovers in Africa, and you make an eggplant like stew with them).

Nonetheless, the diversity of options here in London, and more specifically in East London never cease to amaze me.  It's awesome to be able walk just a short distance in any direction and literally feel as if you touch the opposite ends of the world.  Blessed.












No comments:

Post a Comment