Sunday, August 21, 2011

Slug Buffet

Walking home the other night after a light rain, I come around the corner to see this disgusting display of snails and slugs.  Gross!!  Seriously!

More than once now I have heard a crunch under my foot, and I now know the sensation / sound combination can only be me squishing one of these nasty creatures under my flip flop.  Shivers.

I have been on full swat patrol in my own garden, after a rain I will go out with a flashlight and a glove and make sure I pluck anyone trying to dine on my greens and pop them in a trash bag.  Not glamorous, but slightly entertaining.

So far I have done quite well, but they have nearly devastated my Dahlia again .. they LOVE those things.  Got one great snap of it before it is sure to be disintegrated in a week or so.

Interestingly, and a relief, they actually do not go for my herbs or tomatoes.  So, I have quite a nice supply.  If we ever manage to get sun, I think I may get a bumper crop of tomatoes!  Yeah!

Other than that, the garden has been in tip top shape, supporting two great parties so far, and waiting for more.  It has been quite chilly, and there is the smell of Fall in the air here already.

Fortunately, my garden was still quite green in December last year, so think there is still time for a few more great BBQs ...





No comments:

Post a Comment