Saturday, August 6, 2011

Food Makin' by Yours Truly

British pub quote
For years now I have had a developing love affair with food.  Starting in my youth, no doubt my comfort food carving list was topped by Kraft Mac&Cheese, Spaghetti-Os with meatballs, and Fruity Pebbles (which BTW all are still guiltily binge-able).

Bream ceviche with capers, thyme, and chili
As I made my way through college years, the corporate scene, interesting people, and world travels my interest in food continued to expand, and still does.

The last few months I believe (pat my own back) I have gone beyond myself to the next level.  The proximity to fresh, 'exotic' ingredients, and the proliferation of great cookbooks have allowed me to come up with exploratory ideas and try different things, all while maintaining my personal distinct style that underlies every dish I make.  I covet the days when all I have to do is browse the market, smell the veg, and come home and start chopping.

Curry mussels with French country bread
My approach to cooking is quite simple.  One, only the best of ingredients.  Any time I see an Italian guy with imported truffle oil from his grandfather's land, or a shop with farm-fresh English cheese, or garden fresh in-season greens I am in.  Chorizo in from Spain?  U.S. sweat corn?  Hot house beef steak tomatoes?  Scottish smoked salmon?  In, In, In, In.  Quite often, all you have to do is put them all on a plate together and its mental.

Number two, fresh.  As little as possible out of a package.  Only real exclusions here are olive oil, yoghurt/dairy, coffee, and grains/pasta (well, because without packaging would be quite messy).
Local Tagliatelli, roasted San Marzano tomatoes, artichokes

Third approach - color.  Clash, compliment, whatever you do, just have a lot of it.  And vary it day to day for maximum health benefit.

And finally, the unexpected sweet and salty combination approach that I use to assemble dishes.  Ever put a sprinkling of sea salt on figs, with a bit of prosciutto and a dash of pear vinegar?  Say no more.  I am constantly trying to challenge these concepts and am eating quite well in the process!

Jonas special salad with radish sprouts, avocado

No comments:

Post a Comment