Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Delivery Please ...

Recent studies report the number of cars per adult in the city of London is 0.48.  That means 48 cars per 100 adults... less than 1 car for every two adults (trust me, I'm a statistician).

I ask those of you in America, how many adults do you know without a car?  Certainly not half.  Only perhaps in New York do we get to those levels.  In Chicago it feels like it is nearly one per adult, only possible as low as .80.  So guess what that means for Londoners?  Delivery!

One difference from home that I still struggle with is the lack of the big box ... now, let me be clear, I prefer the small, local shop-owner to the big box, but I could not figure out for quite some time where one buys an iron or lawn furniture or wine glasses, as alas there is no Target (or Crate & Barrel sniff, sniff).

On top of that - even if I found it, how would I actually get it home?  Seriously, all the walking is doing my legs and buns some good, but my shoulders, neck, and back are screaming a bit from the lugging.  Delivery!

Everyone does delivery.  You can get anything overnight ordered online delivered to your door.  Sure, sure you can get this in the US, but here it is simply a necessity - a way of life.  The act of buying without seeing must be accepted.

In fact, the location I finally discovered, the one everyone responded with when I asked "where do you buy ____ ?" = Argos.  Even if you do go into one of their locations, you will find nothing but aisles and aisles of catalogues where you simply point out what you want from the glossy page.  This is normal.

I am opening up to this gradually, and this Thanksgiving offered up the perfect opportunity to splurge.  Since I will be roasting one of the expat turkeys, I needed a roasting pan.  Lo and behold John Lewis was having a 25% off sale on Le Creuset.  Oooooooh  Leee Creuuuuseeeet.  Wi Wi!

Well, since you're delivering, you might as well throw in that wonderful teal casserole I have been lusting over for forever as well.  Free of shoulder pain!  Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment