Sunday, November 27, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I admit, when I first saw the invite list for Thanksgiving dinner this year I thought it was nuts.  Sixty people?  Making dinner for 12 is stressful enough!

However, the expat gang is so fortunate that our group has grown considerably over the last year ... significant others, newly relocated, and a growing number of Brits that enjoy our company as well (well, maybe it is more Cheryl's cooking).

With the discovery of a nearby church with a kitchen, it was decided!  Thanksgiving for all this year!  We had just under forty confirm and turn up, all toting dishes and wine to pass.  My contribution was a turkey, stuffed with Mom's recipe, and some darn good gravy, if I do say so myself.  Also, the test run of the butter mould I purchased in Germany was a success, so I contributed some pretty butter as well (maybe too pretty, as nobody touched it!).

There were different varieties of sweet potatoes, home-made mac-n-cheese, garlicky mashed potatoes, corn casserole, stuffings, cheese, bacon-wrapped dates, empanadas, roasted vegetables, rolls, salad, and the deserts - pecan and pumpkin pie, carrot cake, brownies and tons more that I simply had to chose not to see for fear or exploding.  So fun to taste everyone's dishes!

And of course, we did have to share "what I am thankful for".  Each guest wrote down on a note card their thoughts and put them into a basket.  We each drew one and read it aloud.  It's a touching exercise to express what it is that you are thankful for.  It is clear that expat crowd does not take for granted their great fortune in living in a wonderful city and having found a pseudo-family to help ease the home-sickness, if only for just a short time.


2 comments:

  1. Bless you Sarah; what a wonderful slideshow. I'm so very thankful to have you in my life. And thank you again for my snuggly cape - I feel like a super-hero. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! Thanks so much for all of your help! Am very thankful for you my dear! xo

    ReplyDelete