Monday, November 15, 2010

Day trip on the Island ... Exeter!

Exeter Castle
So, Exeter may not be on anyone's short list for places to visit, but when there is a knitting expo at the Corn Exchange it definitely moves its way up for a nice way to spend a day!  Exeter (when a word is a different color it is actually a link to more info.  Check it out!) is located in the southwestern part of the island, and I came across this show in a newsletter I subscribed to for a local knit shop.  Only two hours on the train, and when I checked out the town online I saw some antique shops and a castle, so I figured why not!  A friend came along, so up and early we were on our way.

The River Quay
The train ride went quick, with lots of greenery, cows, and sheep along the way.  Upon arrival we made our way over to the yarn show, which did have lots of nice options.  I did have to deny my urge to spends loads on money on locally grown cashmere.  I managed to leave without making a purchase (trust me, I have enough yarn to last me a while).

Next stop was down to the River Quay to check out the antiques and swans.  Delightful little area with coffee shops, etc. and seems lots of locals make this town a bit of a destination area to shop / hang out.  There were musicians in the street, cafes, some great architecture, cathedrals ... and a nice park that had remnants of a castle that was constructed in 1066 - old.  We capped of the day with a quick bite, hiked back to the train station, and enjoyed a beautiful sunset on the ride home.  Ahhhhh.
Exeter Downtown 

The ride home

1 comment: