Friday, November 19, 2010

Most Ethical Cabbie Ever

So, yesterday as I was coming home from my business trip, I asked my cabbie from the train to my flat  if he could give me an extra receipt (now, granted it was like only 4 pounds = 5 minutes because it was only from the overground train station near my house, but my feet were killing me from the heels all day and it was drizzling and I had two bags and I just couldnn't do it any more).

Now, my intentions were good.  I realized in Madrid that I didn't get a receipt for my cab from the airport to the hotel (30 euros, yo), and my employer is a little bit of a stickler with receipts.  So, I thought if I could just get some sort of official looking paperwork, I could pass it by and get the money I justly deserved.

Ha, ha.  He was so uncomfortable with this request.  He said something close to "huh?  Wait, what?  A what?  An extra receipt?  Wait, um ... No, wait, why? {I just need to show my company that I took this trip and just need receipt to write it down. No biggie.}  Oh, bloody hell, no you're going to write something like six pounds on there ... No way! No."   Slam, vrooooom.

Ha, ha!  So funny.  I mean, really, a blank piece of cabbie letterhead was all I needed, but he was so concerned with the greater ethical consequence of me jipping my company expense account for 3 pounds.  Gotta love those quaint, honest Brits!

No comments:

Post a Comment