Sunday, November 7, 2010

Current Favorite Neighborhood

So, as of last weekend I am officially on my own again (sniff), and this week has been extremely hectic at work, so nothing like the weekend to do some more exploring!  Yeah!  The weather was absolutely perfect, warmer than usual this week, and sunny, crisp this weekend.  I was drawn to this neighborhood at first because geographically it is the closest Whole Foods to my flat, but after going to check it out, I knew I had to go back and spend some quality time to explore.

Stoke Newington is a happy little quaint town, full of coffee shops, vintage clothing stores, antiques, garden centres, a Faaarrrrmerr's market (which if you know me was when I was officially sold), and an odd bonus - a 19th century cemetery.

It is just a short 10 minute bus ride from my flat, and I got off at one end and just took my time walking up the high street.  First, order of duty was a delicious cup of coffee and a salmon/dill/sundried tomato concoction on rye toast.  Delicious!  The place is a gourmet food mart that has wine and cheese tasting events that were quite tempting ... I sense I will be back here.
 
Then, I got on to walking on, and noticed this little shop where the owners were making their own clothes.  So, I just had to purchase this unique, red capelet with perfect detail and shape (why don't I have a picture?).  The women took so much pride in their work, and truly love each piece.  I felt really touched to meet them, and am proud to wear this handmade, local, original work of art.  It just makes me happy to know people like this still exist.

I knew there was a large "park" off the high street from referencing my handy A-Z street map, and when I veered off to check it out I was shocked to see it was actually a very old, creepy, oddly peaceful cemetery.  With the sun the way it was and the trees showing off their amazing colors, it was a photographer's dream.

There were so many headstones they were virtually falling over each other, most dating from the late 1800s and early 1900s.  The park is quite huge, so paths seem to go on forever deep into the woods, and as I walked I encountered an abandoned old gothic church where the windows had all fallen out.  Scary, exciting ... it was like being in a movie.  I was just waiting for a ghost to appear (if they exist, they are definitely there).  Made for a very, very interesting, fun afternoon.

Just kept on walking, walking all the way home.  Stopped by the Italian deli for a mini panettone, the grocers for some fruit and veg for the week, and topped it off with a mani/pedi before I went back to prep for the night out with friends.  Perfect.  I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment