Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bikram

Well, I survived the first week back at work.  What a relief.  I was a bit stressed about the first day back.  Something about the first day of a new year - I put all of the things I want to conquer in a year in front of myself and it just is overwhelming.

When I was a kid, the first week of a new school year was always torture for me.  The teachers would always lay out the year's agenda with all the major projects you would do throughout the year, pass out humongous two ton text books you were going to have to read, and detail the 40 page term paper you will write, the twelve exams you need to get good scores on, etc.  I would be in tears after the first couple of days, trying to find a way to not have to go back, not knowing how myself "the perfectionist" would possibly get it all done.  In the end I always did spectacular.  The first week back at work kind of feels the same way for me now, but I know it will be a great year with many accomplishments.

So, I am in serious need of a stress outlet and have turned to Bikram yoga.  I was doing this "hot yoga" while in Chicago and it really is wonderful - stretches out your back and hips, detoxes, and gives you a good workout.  I found a place here in London that is really conveniently located between home and the office.  I did my first class Saturday AM.  That experience is honestly a post in itself, but let me summarize:  it was literally 100 degrees in a room with 80 people in it, a pole thin yogi (male) wearing nothing but these wee bitty black spandex shorts, an hour and a half of moving through THE 26 Bikram poses (my favorite is 13), and then a locker room experience unlike any other I have had.  In the end, I felt great afterwards, a little entertained, sore today, and will actually go back.  Bring on week two!

2 comments: