Saturday, January 8, 2011

Detox

Just got back home today from a long three weeks in the Chi.  I could barely keep my eyes open today (though I forced it) and now of course as soon as evening hits (about Noon in Chicago) I am feeling wide awake!  A little energy to document some of the trip ...

It all started with me being the lucky one - stuck on the tarmac for five hours before take off (I am not being sarcastic, I was lucky ... the unprecedented blizzards in Britain and EU left thousands stranded, including many of my expat friends, and I got out minutes before the cancellations waved over the departure boards).  Just an other-worldly test on my endurance:  a move to London for the worst December in over a century.  On the bright side it is supposed to be in the 50s all week and the grass was still green when I got back.

So, straight from ORD to Buona Terra to eat the delicious meal I had been dreaming of the last 5 months, and even better company.  I am humbled by the amazing show out of my neighbors/friends/family ... I love them.

Spicy Creamy Tako Handroll, the good stuff!
I had mentioned in an earlier post that one of the major things I miss from the States is the food.  Not that it is bad in London (despite its reputation), it's just that some things you get used to are hard to replace.  So, I spent most of the trip resting, getting my cuddle time in, and eating up enough of my favorites to last the next 6 months.  Sai Cafe sushi twice, Lula breakfast three times, Urban Belly, Hopleaf, Toast, Lou Malnati pizza, countless BT, and don't forget the X-mas dinner by my Brother/Sister-in-law and the beautiful tin of X-mas cookies ala Mom (which we polished off before I left) ... exactly what I wanted, though I have made a cliche of myself and will be starting my New Year workout plan now!

Speaking of New Years, we took it relatively easy and hung out at the usual digs.  Good food, good wine, good friends ... what else do you need?  Oh, and the poppers were pretty fun too (note, Eddie's gun).  Thanks Eileen!!

I had some worry about what it would be like to go back to the States after moving away, and especially fearful about how I would react to leaving again when it was time to come back to London.  Would it be harder the second time?  I mean, when something like this happens the first time you just have to put your head down, slap the blinders on, set aside all of the good reasons not to leave and just ... get ... on ... the ... plane.  Going back for the first visit provides you a raw reminder of all the love you left behind - blinders off.  The way I see it now, I am just going to focus on the positive - how amazed I am at the love that is in my life and how fortunate I am to be healthy, wealthy, and wise ;-).

I am now fortified to attack 2011 and make this all worth while!   The motto is work hard and play harder in 2011!

3 comments:

  1. Happy to hear you had a great time back home, and that you got renewed energies for the new year! We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I didnt get a chance to see you again. Glad you had a great time! How did kitty do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the blog changes Sara. The butterflies/ moths are beautiful. Glad you had a nice visit in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete