Monday, July 25, 2011

Attitude Adjustment: Elche, Spain

I decided to chase the sun on the cheapest last minute (like three days before) weekend getaway I could find somewhere warm, sunny, with water nearby.  Apparently Elche, Spain, not far from the Alicante airport and the Costa Blanco, was part of my destiny.

The resort I found, situated within the largest reserve of palm trees in Europe, Huerto del Cura, had little cabana type rooms, a turquoise blue pool that wound through the candle lit lounge, and a gourmet grade restaurant with quite possibly the best Rioja I have ever had.  Oh, and weddings.

Day one we (a girlfriend of mine came along) decided that being so close to the coast and a little island 'Tabarca' we should make the trip and see the scene.  Upon arrival, I'll be honest, it was simply a local town and beach, mostly populated by the locals and their families.  Not jaw-dropping like Lagos, so the boat ride to the island was a good idea.

Although somewhat consciously forgetting the sunblock did result in a bit of a serious burn, just being on a boat on the ocean in the heat was worth the cost of the trip.  The small, arid island provided an organized beach area, but of course my preference was to wonder off the beaten path and find a less populated spot, even though it provided a bit of a rocky, seaweedy adventure to and from the refreshing water.

After the beachtime, our thirst and hunger persuaded us to land at one of the restaurants.  I just had to order the 'pescado frito', translated as fried fish ... heads included ... pretty big ones too!

That evening we headed back to wonder town, eat some gelato, catch some local breakdancers in the plaza, do some shopping at Mango, and then back to the hotel to shower up for dinner.

I had been looking forward to this dinner after reading their menu and approach online and it didn't let me down.  The starter salad of artichokes, sun-dried tomato, garlic, and salted cod was eye-rolling good and their approach to paella was unlike anything I had experienced before.  They layered the rice, etc. in the humongous pan and broiled it until it was caramelly brown, providing a wonderful smoky, gooey, moist sauce with the rice and seafood.  Yum!!!  I don't think I left a grain of rice on the plate.

Goal of day two was to walk the palm tree reserve and secure a pool spot to remain relatively motionless until we had to catch the flight.  Achieved, though interestingly enough we did have to find something in the shade!!

The horticultural park was quite impressive, with not only palms but quite a collection of cacti and succulents. Have you ever seen cactus trees?  I hadn't, until now.  Also, I didn't realize that dates were a fruit in themselves, growing on palm trees.  Aren't they dried figs?  No, silly, of course not.

Apparently this park is known for having an Imperial Palm - one with one base, but grows several 'children' trees out the trunk.  Upon seeing this the first time I assumed this was some feat of human splicing, but apparently they are saying these trees are for real.  Still doubtful.

Breakfast, lunch, the pool, relaxing ... all good.  A perfect little getaway.  London appeared quite nice this morning as I woke up with a whole new attitude ... it was sunny though.

<< Slide show on this one >>

No comments:

Post a Comment