Friday, July 1, 2011

Stonehenge

Last weekend I was invited to go to the wedding of some new friends of mine near the small medieval town of Salisbury, England, which just happens to be the launching point of the tour bus to Stonehenge.  So, I decided to take advantage of the situation and got up extra early on Saturday to assure I could catch the first tour and be back in time for the afternoon wedding.

It dawned on me the night before that because I was going straight from Salisbury to Heathrow airport on Sunday AM I would have my monster suitcase with me.  Ugh.  Still, I was not deterred.  After the lovely hour-and-a-half train ride to town, I dragged my bag to the tour bus and asked, "am I crazy to try and bring this along?".  He politely said "Yes, but do you see that little pub a couple blocks up?  They will gladly watch your bag for you for two pounds."  Apparently I am not the first tourist to have this issue.  Score!

Short ride through the lush, sheep covered, green countryside and boom there it is.  Sticks right up out of a grassy field.  It pretty much is what it is, but I did think it was interesting that the entire plains area is dotted with sacred burial grounds.  Mind-bending to try and consider what the people, landscape, weather, clothing, thinking, etc. were like back then when the dragged these stones down to this precise spot to set up their calendar (at least that is my interpretation).

No comments:

Post a Comment