Sunday, July 17, 2011

One Year Later

July 15th marked exactly one year to the day I took off from Chicago O'hare with a one-way ticket to London Heathrow, a new land full of a bunch of people I had ever met.  July 16th marked the day that I arrived, groggy, overwhelmed, alone, but wide-eyed with anticipation.  The passing of these dates one year later has resulted in a lot of reflection.  One year - it feels like it, and yet it doesn't.

It's commonly said the older you get the faster time flies.  As I sit here today it seems like yesterday that I said goodbye to my friends and family ... the people, I suppose, is where I feel the most surprise that it has been so long.  Though it has been longer than I would like since I have spoken with some, and others the time in between is always too long, I still feel very close to the people I felt the most sorrow for leaving.  Plus.

On the other hand, when I think back to that first month - the corporate flat, the walk from Chancery Lane to my office, and even look at pictures of myself standing on the London Bridge the first time - it does in fact seem like it was a long time ago.  Almost in the sense of looking back at old high school photos - the awkwardness of something new.  I believe I have grown and experienced so much in the last year.  I don't feel changed ... the difference is subtle, but undeniably present.

I am constantly humbled by how all this turned out, the serendipity of the entire event plays out still today.  I am eternally grateful for the community I floated into and has evolved around me here, as they make the distance seem closer and the time away shorter.  To commemorate the event, I threw one heck of a little dinner party and it was simply perfect ... though every one thanked me over and over, it was me that was truly the grateful one (a few pics of some food below).

My mental commitment for this change was a two year minimum - I said to myself, 'you do not sell everything you own, leave your loved ones behind, and take on a new job to wuss out.  This may be hard, but to get its full worth you must commit to at least two years ... you can see how things go from there.'  Bizarrely enough, now that one year is behind I almost felt a sense of urgency ... the next year will probably go faster than the first and I still have a lot of things to do and places to see !!!!

<< small slideshow on this one >>

No comments:

Post a Comment