Thursday, July 22, 2010

Could this be the one??

Saw 12 flats today ... and had to navigate it all on my own since my agent sent a note this AM that she was ill and wasn't up to it.  So, she scheduled me with all these agencies (so owners here have agencies that they have lease their places for them, but it helps to have an agent that coordinates all the agencies because that process alone is enough to send any expat back home screaming "bloody hell" - got it).  Fortunately there is a little strip on Upper St. where they are located close together so I essentially just had to go up a couple doors and meet the next person to drive me about.  Today I was looking in the Islington/Highbury area.  Very cute district, the one I liked the best so far, but is a tube ride from the office.

So, perhaps it is just my budget, but there are some rumors I would like to dispel  1) some of these places are TOO BIG for me  2) they nearly all have new baths and kitchens, and 3) I could have easily have fit all my U.S. furniture into nearly every place I looked at.  All good in the end, but wish I had my dining room table and sofa on the boat heading over here.  Hopefully I can get the company to reimburse those purchases.

Anyway, none were truly offensive, but there are some weird layouts and I have to say there is one that I am adoring at the moment.  I am trying not to fall in love because another rumor is that these places go instantly.  I may have to act tomorrow if it still seems right (going to see it again tomorrow).  Anyway, it is a garden with the bedrooms on the first floor, which at first I didn't think I would want, but um, it comes with a garden.  Out back off the sunny kitchen / dining (skylight) there is a large bricked patio with plenty of room for planting and a grill (yeah!!!!!).  Also, there is some very creative woodworking - like inner shutters on the huge windows, creative hidden closet space.  The front (which I posted) is also really cute - especially when I get that Boston fern hanging up and the fuschia petunias draping from the front window!!.  I'll try and take some better pics tomorrow, when I am also going to go see some more places, mostly within walking distance of the office.  So far, so good.  Let's hope this wind of luck keeps going ...

No comments:

Post a Comment