Saturday, July 31, 2010

Got the flat!!!

Hi!  Well, I haven't been posting because I spent the last week in New York for a Nielsen Leadership meeting and didn't have too much London news to share.  It was a bit of a roller coaster changing time zones back and forth and being back in the States so soon, but I think I adjusted quite well.  When the UK border guard asked my intent in London I said I was "going home".  Actually got some sleep on the plane and got "home" this morning.

However, one great piece of London news did come through on Wednesday ... and I have confirmed the flat!!  Yes, the one I posted about last.  They gave me a little scare on Tuesday stating that "unfortunately someone else made an offer", but in the end they chose mine.  Whew.  I'm not going to post all the photos I have right now because they all have the current tenants goods in them and don't do the place justice.  This one is the view out the small bedroom - that is the glass window that is over the kitchen eating area below.  If you Google map 26a Elmore Street, Islington, London and do the street view you can get a good look at the outside.  I am the first two floors.

I'm really psyched about it and looking forward to getting settled in and decorating (I officially get the place Aug. 13th).  I have already made a tentative plan to hit the Portobello Market that Saturday to look for a few furniture items I will need (like a desk, kitchen table - could have used the ones I sold!  Ugh).  Nonetheless, that should be quite enjoyable.  I have a little bit of a dilemma since my goods probably won't arrive for a week after I move in, so I will be without a bed, etc.  Have to think that through ...

This afternoon I had my first pedicure ... for sure more expensive and pretty scarce as well.  Think the ladies here care a little less about the appearance of their toes.  Still, walking to the salon I stumbled on another cute little shopping district.  Must be Holbourn, which is close to where I am staying now.  Had some fun browsing shops, and I got a couple books for really good prices:  "Gardening in the Shade" and "How to be a Better Foodie".  Both should come in handy!

Anyhoo ... going to check out this restaurant called Eagle tonight (http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2:1658/eagle#details)  Looks to be the perfect environment to dig into my Foodie book.  Tomorrow I will head back to the Borough market for this week's supplies and a delicious lunch and then try and figure out how in the heck this washing machine works!!  Kara - thanks for the needed BFF call last night;  Mom - let's get that Skype hooked up (T&S too!).

No comments:

Post a Comment