Friday, July 16, 2010

I've arrived ...


So, the day finally arrived. So much drama and preparation and fears and fantasies - it was finally here, like it or not. Just like everything the past couple of months, everything executed flawlessly as if this was some sort of larger plan, starting off with the beautiful rainbow the Saturday night my Mom was in to visit.  Hope this cover of the Economist in the airport isn't a sign of bad news!!

The airplane was a little delayed, but ended up not being an issue. I was a bit concerned about the 6 hour time difference, because although I would be landing at 8:30AM in London, that would only be 2:30A Chicago time, and I would have to crash early to be somewhat coherent the next day for my planned tour with my housing agent. Much to my dismay a VERY large man with some VERY loud snoring was sitting just across the aisle from me (he also had several stand up and scratch episodes throughout the flight that resulted in me no longer wanting to open my eyes at every disturbance). However, as luck would have it he calmed down not too far in.

Still, sleeping on a plane is rough and there was a Matt Damon movie on so I really only got a couple of hours in max. I summoned up the energy, made it through Immigration no problem (I'm a foreigner now!), and got into a taxi. Wait, how cool are the taxis in London?? These cute little cars, with some much boxy space and someone at the wheel that knows pretty much everything? Check in the positive column.


The ride in was great, as I got to go through some significant parts of the city (as least I believe they were based on all the beautiful buildings, tourists, and Harrods on Knightbridge). My temp housing was pretty inconspicuous, and I ended up having to wait an hour and a half outdoors for the agent to arrive. It was a bit stressful as my cell was on its last bit of juice (hey, at least it worked), but it ended up ok. Threw the bags upstairs (just what I needed a third floor walk up! But, its nice.) and off to meet Anne, my housing agent.

Anne appears to know just as much about London side streets as those clever taxi drivers (wait, did I just sense a bit of an accent in that statement?), as she was whipping left and right here and there - we spent the entire afternoon going from Islington to Kensington to Knotting Hill to Covent Garden and everywhere in between. Snuck in a cappuccino and quiche from lunch.  So many great places to chose from (going to ponder this weekend) and I got to see some of the "flats" here. Agreed, they are not as nice as Chicago and there are some quirky things (I mean really, furnished and carpeting? Eeewww. One had a full out bason sink in the bedroom - another the fridge was in a closet in the living room). Nonetheless, I now feel confidant I will find something I can turn into home and get enough room for you all to come and visit on the regular (hint, hint.)

Going to give Anne my thoughts and we are going to get serious Thursday and Friday about finding a flat.

Side note, there is AMAZING architecture here, but assume there will be plenty of time for posting the local landscape shots in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment