Saturday, October 16, 2010

First trip to the Main Land!

Last week I had my first official "work" trip to Madrid - and first ever trip to mainland Europe.  It was somewhat a pleasure trip as well since we flew in a day early and did some sightseeing around Old Madrid before I had to head to the office and do the client meeting the next morning.

First, my flat is not exactly convenient to the airports in London - of which there at least five and all are about an hour and a half journey.  So any future visitors beware there are planes, trains, metro and buses involved.  However, we did make it to the airport in time for the flight (which was painfully delayed 2 hours!!), but all in all it was a really exciting trip.

Madrid is beautiful.  We stayed just off Plaza Santa Ana, which is a quick walk to the center of Madrid - Plaza del Sol and Plaza Mayor.  The latter is a HUGE square in the heart of Madrid that is extremely historic (at least that is what the guidebook said, and I believe my High School Spanish teacher Sra. Nelson said the same).

Museu de Jamon
However, what became the most central location of the trip was El Museo del Jamon (the Museum of Ham).  Never had I considered that so many pig legs would be in one location, and that they would be this tasty.  Once we dropped off our bags in the hotel, we were out the door (both hungry) and we just happened upon this Museu (if you will) that was full of Madrillenos (Madridians) standing up, eating "air dried ham" sandwiches and sipping beer/wine.  Score.  I myself ate there two more times (once for breakfast and the other way too late), and my other half - think he made it back two more times on top of that.

We walked the streets for a few hours, sat and had some wine, walked a bit more and finally ended up on the first night at El Mercado de San Miguel.  OMD (oy mio deus) this place is a mecca of goodness, up near the level of holiness of thou Borough Market in London.  I felt like a kid in a toy shop, eyes darting about, not able to decide what to have next.  What to get first was easy - big glass of Spanish Rioja.  After that, we nibbled on olives wrapped in sardines, cured fishes on toast, fresh oysters, chocolate and coconut truffles ... a then a bit more Rioja.  Wondered back through Plaza Mayor to our hotel (after a quick stop off for one more little bite at El Museu), where we had free glasses of champaign on the rooftop terrace and back to pass out.  Awesome experience, and so fortunate to share with my BF BF.

The next AM we had time to catch some cafe con leche and do some more wondering, where we hit Palacio Real and some other beautiful plazas and landmarks I can't name.  Then I had to head off to the office.  It is about 15 minutes taxi ride outside the center, and is very small (~20 people), but everyone was very nice.  I had been stressing about the preparation for this meeting since I did not get the data I needed for my presentation until the night before we left, but it all went fine.  You know those Latinos -  manana, manana.  The most impressive part for me was that I actually understood the entire two hour meeting that was conducted in Spanish.  Seems like I just may accomplish that little goal.  Heading back mid-November.

No comments:

Post a Comment