Saturday, October 2, 2010

Wapping

Friday night I got an invite to go to dinner out in Wapping ... this is a neighborhood on the East side of town, right on the river.  One of those hidden gem parts of London I think.  Not touristy, not in the guidebooks, farther out than most west-siders want to go, but wow ... loved it.  As I was walking down the street, wet from the rain earlier that day, lit with dim lanterns, it looked like what I would imagine old London would have been.  Also, a first, I had to take the "overground" train to get there.  Which is more or less kind of like the tube, but, well like the name suggests, is overground.  Public transport here is the bomb - this station is just minutes from my place.

The place is called the Wapping Project and is an old hydraulic power station converted into an artistic exhibition site / outstanding restaurant.  One of new Chicago gals lives right near by ...  the place is hip and we had spectacular food.  A very industrial, architectural design inside.  Right up my alley with natural, local preparation.  Had some smoked eel with a wonderful horseradish sauce, some bacon wrapped date, and for entre a sea bream with crab croquette.  And honestly for what it was, the price was in line.   Yeah!  A friend that likes to spend $$$ on spectacular food  ... oh, and she just did half iron man, so also encourgement for fitness focus.


Unfortunately the picks do not do this place justice, so just maybe you'll have to visit there with me to see it for yourself.  Happy, happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment