Thursday, October 21, 2010

Prego!

This week I had my second "business" trip out of the U.K. since moving over ... Milano!  Located in the center of the Northern part of the boot, well known for its fashion industry and the magnificent Duomo Cathedral.  There for just two nights, I again proceeded to walk around the old city center near the cathedral and major shopping areas.  Our hotel couldn't have been more perfectly located (thanks Nielsen!).

After we arrived Monday evening we started to take a stroll around, catching the setting sun on the side of Duomo.  I have never been so close to a building that made me feel so insignificant and in awe.  It towered to the heavens, with white stone, arches, spectacular stained glass windows, and covered with what has to be thousands of sculptures, and topped off with lace-like details picketing across the top.  We walked by it dozens of times, and each time I couldn't help but just stop and stare.  The inside was just as impressive - completely hollow, with very thin archways supporting the domed ceilings, and mosaicked marble floors and the stained glass - OMG.  Coincidentally this program was on PBS.  It helps to show just exact how the people would have done this 500 years ago without modern tools (but they did have a lot more patience.  NOVA: Building Gothic Cathedrals

That evening we found a quaint little Italian restaurant, got a couple great bottles of Nebbiolo (yummy!) and some carpacchio and burrata cheese.  Main courses were lamb and a squid ink pasta that I was so involved with I forgot to take a picture.  Our fellow diners were from Egypt, and very friendly.  We conversed for quite a while until the restaurant owner brought us out two huge glasses of Limoncello ... Gratzi!!  Such a happy night.

Next morning we set out to see the shopping scene, and man, is there one.  Streets lined with flagship stores for Versace, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Dolce and Gabbana (of whom Madonna is doing an ad campaign and looks freakin' spectacular) ... anyway, you name it they were there and I couldn't even afford to look in the window let alone take home a souvenir.  Anyway, fancy name brands are not really my thing, so I just went to get a chocolate gelato and marvel at the cathedral again.

From there I had to go the office, came back and we ate some pasta at a little cafe, and in the morning off to work, work, work.  It was a pretty basic meeting - everything went well with my pres, and they only did it about half in Italian (which I also can pick up about half of too, so there is hope I may be able to get some language skills down on that as well).  Looks like I'll be back here soon as well, as some interesting project ideas came up.  Prego!!

1 comment:

  1. Sara, we were in Milan a couple of weeks ago and were amazed as you were with the cathedral and shopping areas. If you have an opportunity go to Barcelona and see the cathedral designed by Gaudi. It is even more astonishing than Milan. Barcelona and Milan have the second and third largest cathedrals in the world. A privilege to see. I'll email a couple of photos.

    ReplyDelete