Sunday, August 8, 2010

East End Markets

This AM I got up nice and early to get a head start on the tri-fecta of East End markets.  There is a series of markets in East London that I figured I could conquer in one day, at least enough to get an overview of everything and see where I would come back to and spend some more time another day.

So, I decided to walk over to the East end, which was quite uneventful - very financial district like and dead on an early Sunday AM.  I started with Petticoat market.  This is touted as a cheap clothing market and that it is - think swap-o-rama - packs of socks, $10 business suits.  Didn't take me long to buzz it and I now know I don't need to go back.
Columbia Road Flower Market

Next on the agenda was the Columbia Road Flower market.  I had even noted this one while still back in the states.  Of course, being a flower market it is beautiful and there are cute shops along the street as well;  this would make a nice morning any time.  Tons of cut flowers and plenty for landscaping.  I stopped at a cute Italian eatery for a cappuccino and some eggs with prosciutto.  Delicious - they had this rosemary bread - man, sooo good.  Also made a purchase of these really cute ceramic mushrooms.  I can see myself stopping back over there once I have a vision for the back yard (and when my sis-in-law visits).  Just need to figure out how to transport goods without a car.

Brazilian snacks
Brick Street vendors
Started wondering south, cutting left and right (since it seems there are very few through streets in this city), and as luck would have it I ended up on Brick Street, which is in itself very market like.  Saw a place that looked popular - I think it was called the It Market, but not sure (for future reference corner of Brick and Hanbury).  It was pretty cool - I think the stuff there was most interesting at least.  Lots of cheap clothing still (but now think fashionable - all the young girls going nuts for this stuff), but also artsy jewelry and some very unique food.  There is a lot of middle eastern food - huge cast iron pans full of bubbling spicy sauces.  Wasn't adventurous enough to try them this time, but will in the future.  This area is in the heart of the Bengali community, so that influence is seen in the street vendors.  I just so happened to find the lone Brazilian selling "salgados" so I opted for a "cochina" instead.

Entrance to Spitalfield's indoor market
Then finally, I made it over to Spitalfield's market.  This one is certainly most popular, the biggest and most modern, and it is also surrounded by more boutiquey shops.  I honestly thought this was going to have more antiques, but I was wrong.  I think the antiques are on a different day.  Need to look that up.  Any way, more clothes, scarves, food, jewelry, touristy junk.  I walked round and round until my legs were sore.  Opted to take the tube back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment