Saturday, August 21, 2010

A joint I just may be able to hang in ...

So, being that I do not even have a utensil in my new flat, I will certainly be eating out this week.  Terrible, really - well, not so much.  My neighborhood is based upon two streets which essentially form a fork in the road.  To the left, is stunning Upper street - sheik boutiques, delicious restaurants, trendy art, pretty people ... to the right is more gritty, trying to be cool places, and as you make it further up, just trying to be open places - that is where I live.  So, diving right in, I aimmed to stay in my gritty area, getting to know my hood before getting spoiled.  I found a  great produce market and what looks to be a delicious butcher and fishmonger.  Also, there is an organic grocer for all my over priced grocery needs (I have several).  I dig it.  The closest restaurant I would eat in is actually a sushi joint I tried Sunday evening.  Not too bad, but I can do better.

Heavenly.
Monday after work I went to check out a sofa (yes, I am still obsessing about furnishings, but getting closer) and wondered about until I finally caught the right bus (yes!) and hit Upper Street tonight.  It is not that I was avoiding it ... just more like prolonging the pleasure.  I knew there would be endless joy there.  Tonight I ate a French place that brought me out a bowl of mussels that I could have climbed in to and never be seen again ... HUGE!   And covered in garlicy cream.

After the episode was over I reflected back and thought ... wow, I was such an American right there.  I proceeded to eat those mussles in such a fit, there was probably garlic cream flicking all around me, the manic clinking of my fork on shell disturbing the whole place.  Not even a passing thought that someone may be watching me in disgust - who cares!! I woofed those suckers down in a land speed record (truly, only my BF Jonas can appreciate how I can kill a bowl of mussels.)  To end it all, I am having this thought as I am picking the remains out of my very last tooth.  Classy I tell ya.   I'll be so lucky if I can repeat once a week.

Now, this is a joint I just may be able to hang in.

No comments:

Post a Comment