Sunday, August 29, 2010

Keeps getting better

Today I went on another random walking journey around the neighborhood - what wonders one finds!  I went over to catch breakfast at this place called The House, which is not too far from my flat, but a nice walk (side note, real English muffins are pretty darn delicious).  On my way back, checking out my A-Z street guide of London I saw a little waterway nearby in this area called Canonbury (Charles Dickens wrote about it, George Orwell lived here - saw his home).  So, I decided to take a look and walk up the path on my route - wow, it was like a fairy tale.  The left is a picture of the map.

It is called the "New River" and dates back to 1609 when they built it for a fresh waterway.  Coincidentally when I was out the other night, one of the girls mentioned that I needed to go check out this restaurant the "Narrow Boat" on the water in Islington and I thought she was crazy.  But yes, there is water in Islington (aside from the canal I have mentioned before).  This was a great surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment