Saturday, August 21, 2010

I "heart" the 38

So, this weekend it finally hit me-  there is a LOT of walking in this city if a) you have no car b) are ambitious to see everything and c) actually think it is a good idea to walk places that most people think you're out of your mind for.  Saturday after lugging my luggage (ah, now I know where they got the name) to my new spot I decided I must purchase at least a few new plants to reward myself for the ambitious cleaning.  Vision: mini bright yellow/green evergreens for the front living room window, small round almost bonsai cut shrubs for the back window, and some small micro white flowers for in between those.  I have to pace myself - I can't carry even a fraction of what I want to buy, so it seems several bouts of flower purchasing will be in my near future (yes!).

Off I went (yes, deciding to walk a distance I beleive most would have some 5 minute bus ride to cover) to the Columbia Street market (one place that has been repeated, so good sign).  It was about 20 mins, but not entirely a delightful walk through Hoxton.  I passed by the canel (which may be future running path), through a lot of residential that would probably qualify for lower income, and then finally at an empty street market (Hoxton St??).  Anyway, nice to know it is not too far to the flower market, and if I had a bike (ah, the bike fantasies begin) I could get there in no time.

So, no denying, this place is a madhouse - a nice, courteous madhouse, but still a madhouse. So, I walk up, then back, then up again, then back.  I spotted the evergreens - they are some sort of lemon scented fir - so cute and lemony!  Also, encountered this Heather that was white and they said would flower all the way through February - score!  Finally, a last spot on some micro-leaved ground cover that I actually think would look stunning in one of my pots as an accent (not planned for this trip, but no eye on the bonsais so could carry).
This was actually growing wild on the walk over.

The plants there are very reasonable, and the quality is pretty amazing.  I saw these New Guinnea impatients that were spectacular but when I asked if I could pick the ones I wanted this dude said no - really?  Ugh, downturn in day begins.  I am pretty starving by this point and the delicious Italian cafe is packed so I start walking, and walking, and walking, and walking, and OMG I ... can't ... walk ... any ... more.  Got a little "turned around".  Finally just hailed a cab, as I knew he could get me there, and in under 10 mins.  So, back to the main point of this story -  I have been trying to figure out the bus system a little bit.  The 38 is my friend.  Almost door to door to the office and runs up and down the main drag.  However, there are like 5 buses that pass by my street, I just don't have them remembered.  I thought I could encounter a bus station somewhere on the way home. I didn't.  I will learn this!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment