Saturday, August 28, 2010

Getting settled in

It's been two weeks now, only one with furnishings, since I've been in my new pad.  The walks around my neighborhood have been very worthwhile, I have found.  In time when I find I am not sure what to do I just go out and start taking unknown side streets - those I have assumed are nothing but rows of homes, I guess just to find out shorter paths or to see if there is a local wine store that I must know about, and find unsuspected pubs, inns, furniture shops, and just unusual living situations.

Though it is pleasantly residential, there are also hidden gems like the canal that runs through and cute restaurants I would not have found otherwise.  Regents canal is not too far away.  However, don't get big dreams about what this is -it is kind of nasty, but promising.  There is a small waterway running through London, and in some places is quite scenic, offering cute romantic boat rides, but my section is a bit more, um, Section 8.  Nonetheless, I ventured down the pathway and low and behold there is the buzz of a happening "hidden" cafe, smoking away one heck of a grill for a BBQ.  Score.  This has running path potential.
People actually live in these I think

Almost undiscovered cafe on Regents Canal
Later in the day as I wondered about I found an amazing rose garden not far away, that looks as if it were built for reading a good book or knitting my Irish cable knit sweater.  Not far from there was a church offering yoga and having a weekend festival (think crafts, pies, kids) in September (wood spoon whittling classes anyone?  I think so!).  Anyway, it feels so much like a little small neighborhood - I'm delighted.
My Neighborhood Eden













I think the thing about London that I like today is - it is so enchanting.  Every unsuspecting corner offers up a little surprise.  Today I had moments of real excitement about getting to explore ...

No comments:

Post a Comment